Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Snow Questions for winter 2009-2010

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member LCAS_712's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2006
    Location
    Coeburn VA / Harrogate TN
    Posts
    977
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Snow Questions for winter 2009-2010

    These questions have been asked on several weather forums for people to answer and I thought that you all might want to chime in with these.
    1. When will the first forecast for snow happen?
    2. When will the first snow actually happen?
    3. When will the first measureable snowfall below 2500 ft. happen.
    4. How bad or good will this winter be weather-wise overall?

    My answers are:
    1. Between Nov 5-15th
    2. Between Nov 5-15th
    3. Between Dec 1-10th
    4. All long range forecasts from the guys who know more than me are showing a lot of varibles are lining up for us to have a cold snowy winter so Im going to go with that.
    [img]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg277/cfd_1623/l_718884585b96167d3016bd636fbe24c0.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member The_Sage's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2008
    Posts
    271
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Snow Questions for winter 2009-2010

    I don't like the long range forecast at all.... I was hoping for a mild winter... I guess to get that a person would have to head to the deep south.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member 7teen's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 23rd, 2009
    Posts
    458
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Snow Questions for winter 2009-2010

    It seems that for about the last 5-7 years I have been hearing people say that we are predicted to have a bad winter. And as far as I can remember, none of them have been all that bad. We get one decent snow and then a few small ones, but nothing major it seems.

    I'll stick with the trend and say we get a few 2-3 inch snows this year and a bunch of little dustings, but nothing major.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Sportsman*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Snow Questions for winter 2009-2010

    It always snows in October.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member imported_Hugh_Jass's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Snow Questions for winter 2009-2010

    The temps have fallen drastically this week overnight. It could snow by month's end. I hate it too.

  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner SBG's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2004
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Snow Questions for winter 2009-2010

    As much moisture that's been around this year and the temps not getting as high as they could during summer could spell a rougher than usual winter this time around. Then again, maybe all that precip has done gone by and we'll not get a drop of snow. See how I rode the line so that I get it right one way or the other? I could be a meteorologist. lol Seriously, I'm going with the rougher than usual winter prediction.
    [LEFT][IMG]http://www.dsslexius.net/forums/images/smilies/goneinsanegif.gif[/IMG][/LEFT]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Sportsman*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Snow Questions for winter 2009-2010

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman* View Post
    It always snows in October.
    October 17, 2009 9:13 a.m. It is spitting snow in Wise right now. The forecast calls for rain and snow showers through Sunday morning.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    377
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Snow Questions for winter 2009-2010

    Well, according to the National Weather Service as long as we are affected by the mild El Nino conditions in the pacific ocean we can expect normal to slightly above normal temps along with normal to somewhat above normal precipitation. So, we could see more snow and possibly ice than what we have been used to over the last several years. I think we won't see snow before mid November at higher elevations, but will see possibly see more overall like last year and it could be more significant accumulations. I assume my forecast will be as good as we currently get from the local stations or the old almanac.
    ......and I thought truth was universal. Silly me......

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •